Saturday, July 27, 2013

Blessed Eyes

Many have vision problems, some are blind or going blind. A lot of blindness can be prevented.

What is so sad, is to see people who are going blind not caring. And people seeing others going blind and do not care.

When my wife started going blind (1998), she started seeing things blurry. She could not read road signs or billboards. She could not read the Bible, a newspaper, or a book. So, I would read to her. I would read the road signs, the good billboards, and most important, I would tell her what we were passing in the grocery store and in Wal-Mart or some other store. As we walked I talked. She listened. I am now her eyes.

One of my memorable moments when my wife was going blind was in a restaurant. Of course my wife uses a fork or spoon but very carefully since she does not know what she is getting. Well, my wife ordered her food. When the young girl brought it to us. She sat my plate down and then my wife's. Then she said to my wife: your water is at 12 o'clock. Your napkin is at 9 o'clock. Your steak is at 9 o'clock. Your green beans are at 3 o'clock. And your sweet potato is at 6 o'clock. She then took my wife's hand and directed it in a fan motion right to left to touch her water glass. Then she said: do you need anything else? I was so fascinated by this girl's actions. I said yes, two things. She said what is it? I said who taught you to do that? She teared up and said, oh my mother is blind and I help her when I am not working. Then I said, second thing: will you stand by my table until I finish praying? She said yes sir. And so I prayed a simple fast prayer for the food and for this girl and her mother.

Blessed Eyes

When our daughter Donna was married in 2000 her eye doctor outfitted her with a special pair of glasses that allowed her to see some image but not clear. The problem was her retina. It had detached and would not reattach because of her diabetes. At several junctions in her going blind she would cry. But she said if she had to choose between her eyes and her hearing, she would choose to lose her eyes. She went through bouts of depression, loneliness, and the fear of unknown sounds. She overcame all that by the help of Jesus. She was quite an over comer.

One year, in 2005 I went on missions to the Philippines and she wanted to go. So I took her to the mission field. She had as her companion Jhane Jacutin from Cagayan de Oro. The two hit it off and Jhane has become our spiritual daughter. She was so blessed by the outpouring of love for her. It was good therapy. She traveled with me to several islands but sometimes she had to stay in a hotel (Pension House) until I got back. I was so scared for her being alone. But she would insist I go and preach and teach. So, I would make sure she had food, drink, anything she needed or wanted. I always had some girl who would look after her and take her out for walks. She liked those walks.

In 2007, totally blind now, she said to me, I want to go with you on the pump boat from Bogo to Cayawan. And I told her, when we get to Cayawan we have to climb out on the outrigger and slip down into a smaller boat. Do you think you can do that? She said she wanted to go and she would find a way. So she went. Wow, what courage, blind, on a primitive outrigger pump boat. After a few hours we arrived at Cayawan and the little boats lined up to come under the outriggers to take passengers on into shore. When our time in the line came, I helped her get down on her knees, crawl out on the bamboo plank of the outrigger. Others seeing me trying to help my blind wife went into action.

Some jumped into the water and climbed in the little boat. Some slipped past us and helped her inch her way forward. All the time, the pump boat is heaving, rocking, rolling side to side, and there she was perched on an outrigger inching her way out. At last she arrived. I had her to move her knees out from under her and turn and roll over and sit down with her legs dangling. About five feet below was the little boat. There were now three young boys there with hands outstretched to help her. They took her two feet in their hands, and told her to turn loose of the outrigger. The boats were bobbing and she was scared out of her wits. But, she turned loose and they gently lowered her into the little boat. Wow, what an experience.  The little boat took us on in to the shore where she had to climb out of the boat into waist deep water to wade the rest of the way to shore.

Sister Reckart was blessed by the members of the Church there who showered her with love. Then we reversed the entire process when we departed. She was back on the pump boat and headed back to Bogo and then to Cebu.

Because of her kidney failure problems and being on dialysis, it is doubtful she will ever be able to go again. But, she is checking to see if there is a dialysis center in Cebu and if there is one she is comfortable with, she will likely make the trip again.

All the time, I am her eyes.

The eyes are one of the important doorways to the mind and soul. I realize this living with a wife in the blind world. I do everything for her. I cook all her meals. I take care of everything. She does continue to wash clothes providing I pile them up by color for her. She likes that. And she still loves shopping. Second to that, she talks. Blind people transfer from their eyes not only to their ears, but to talking. So, if you want to be a friend to a blind person, get them to talk and just listen. You could make their day.

On my last trip to the Philippines I saw an old blind man sitting on the sidewalk holding a little cup. I was so smitten when I walked past. I turned and went back. He had a little coin in it that he rattled as he said something in his language. I reached into my pocket and pulled out two 500 peso bills (about $23). I touched him on the head and said silently (in the name of Jesus Christ). Some friends of his standing and watching an American give him money began to shout to him. He stuck his fingers in the cup and pulled out the money. They told him how much it was. And he danced right there in front of God and every body. I turned and disappeared in the crowd.

I was passing through Car Car, south of Cebu and I saw a very young girl walking behind a little casket. Behind her was a little stream of people. They were in a procession going somewhere with that little casket. I asked the driver what was going on, He said a funeral, the little girl's baby had died. I told him to turn the taxi around. By the time he was able and go back they had disappeared. I told him to find that girl. He began to ask where she went and they pointed the direction. We found her walking up a hill toward the cemetery. By this time I was crying. I had the driver to pull up and stop next to the young girl. Then I saw her young husband with her and he was crying. They were both crying. As I got out of the taxi crying and tears running down my face, I handed the little wife 2000 pesos (about $50). She looked at me like I was an angel. She smiled and gave me a hug and I prayed for them in Jesus Christ name. I got back into the taxi and went on my Journey to Negros.

Eyes to see.
Eyes of compassion.
Eyes of caring.
Eyes that love.
Eyes that are blessed, not with vision, but with love.
Then I realized why Truth is so important. Why seeing it is so impressive.

I remember the words of Jesus:

But blessed are your eyes, for they see, and your ears, for they hear (Matthew 13:16).

I look back over the years when I wandered in Pentecostal Catholic blindness; When I was led by blind pastors; When I let others be my eyes; And they led me into so many lies. Then I began to read and study on my own. I was scared to give up the lies of pagan holidays. I was told I was leaving God if I left the UPC. But I knew I had to escape Pentecostal Catholicism. I had to, to be saved.

I can see why so many in the UPC hate the truth. I am shocked by the arrogance, the hate, the slander, the rancor, the ogre mentality, from them that Truth must be destroyed so their blindness can continue.

When the day of spiritual healing came to my eyes and I gave up Pentecostal Catholicism, I began a personal war on spiritual blindness. I had one goal now:

PREVENT BLINDNESS

I then got this revelation from Jesus Christ God, that those who see the Truth have beautiful eyes.

I have looked into the eyes of men and women who at last got the Truth. And believe me, it shows up in the eyes in mysterious ways.  The look of joy. The look of excitement. The look of love. The look of compassion. And the look that only Truth can bring to the face.

Blessed Eyes
Bishop Reckart
A Man God Made

3 comments: