Sunday, November 13, 2011

What is a novice?

The word "novice" is found one time in the Bible (1Tim 3:6).

Here, the subject matter in which the word is found concerns qualifications for a Bishop.

A novice cannot be a Bishop.

The Greek meaning of "novice" is someone who is newly planted. Strong gives his opinion that this means a young convert. I believe it goes much further than this. But taking a young convert as a starting point, a novice is then a man who has no experience in matters of doctrine, faith, practice, conduct, and order. A man may know a lot of things, he may even have a measure of intelligence, but he has not been tried in areas of important doctrines. A Bishop cannot be a man who flip-flops, wavers, changed his doctrine all the time, who is not faithful in Word or Deeds, and who has a record of giving false doctrine acceptance. A novice is an unskilled man. He has not perfected himself in areas of important doctrines. This is why the qualifications of a Bishop must be applied to all men who desire to claim this office.

There are many levels to being a novice. How does a person ever leave being a novice? How do they become a seasoned Man of God? Is there a set time of months or years for a novice and then he graduates? Does a man cease to be a novice when he gets a ministers license or is ordained?

I will use myself. I began preaching in 1972 although I had been preaching before this. But because I was preaching did not promote me from being a novice. Instead, it was my preaching that granted me to be called a novice. I was a beginner. But I was not skilled. I was not doctrinally sound in all the Apostolic doctrines. I lacked understanding in many areas of Apostolic theology. I was unlearned in many areas of Apostolic faith and doctrine. I had beliefs I later found out were false. I was a novice. I was a newbie. I was a new minister. And I had no answer to many of the complex questions about the Bible. My Pastor was a seasoned Man of God. I could not hold a candle to him in preaching, teaching, knowledge, understanding of Scripture, prophecy interpretation, and in holiness standards. My Pastor was a great Man of God who made few if any mistakes in doctrine and judgment. He was a very intelligent Man of God. He did not waver in doctrine, faith, practice, conduct, and order. I was taught that when I became the man my Pastor was, that was the day I was no longer a novice. I had to measure to some Man of God's life who was the most perfect example around me of purity in Apostolic doctrine.

I look back and I was a novice for over ten years. I gradually learned and became a Man of God who earned a higher standing in the Ministry. I did not promote myself. I let the Holy Ghost teach and promote me. I had lots of things to work out, give up, change, and begin to be faithful in all matters of Apostolic doctrine. I was confronted by all manner of false doctrines to test me. I stood the testing and remained unshaken. As I passed from being a novice into a Man of God, I could see the importance in being rooted and grounded. I could also see that being faithful to doctrine was a very high priority. So I dedicated myself to apologetics. I was confronted over and over to defend Apostolic doctrine. And each time I was confronted I took up the challenge and began debating. I never lost a single debate. Because I was never in the wrong. This is where a Bishop comes in. A Bishop should not be off in any doctrinal area. Men who are not well grounded and who are off on all kinds of doctrines will remain novices until they correct themselves or they die.

Novices train themselves and allow themselves to be trained by other great Men of God. They never exalt themselves above their teacher. They are humble men who do not offer opinions but always offer the true interpretation of Scriptures. By standing for the Truth, this will promote a man.

A novice is inexperienced because he either has not been at his calling for very long or he is not maturing as he should to be able to stand alone as a Man of God.

What we need are not more men with opinions but more men who are seeking perfection in doctrine, faith, practice, conduct, and order.

Fulfill these areas of doctrinal importance and you can graduate from being a novice.

Bishop Reckart

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Bishop for sharing youre testimony.What i Liked about this was youre humbleness and honesty.Knowing who you are in Christ! Many leaders today are full of pride and are more worried about being accepted by there orgs click of Minister then pleasing God.Thanks for sharing what God had given you over the years on youre blogs,Email ext.... I have been truely Blessed by it.!Brother S.Sparks

    ReplyDelete